On Monday, 5 January 2015 13:48:31 UTC, Tamas Papp wrote:

> I think that using Unicode (outside ASCII) for numeric literals would be
> more trouble than it is worth (typing, visually distinguishing them from
> other similar-looking characters, etc). I feel that even if a language
> supports Unicode, it should be usable with ASCII only.
>
> I would prefer if Julia abandonned the abbreviated multiplication syntax
> altogether: it looked very nifty when I first saw it, but it seems to be
> a source of problems. I think that expressions with errors are only the
> tip of the iceberg, I consider bugs that go unnoticed more noxious.

It could still be bound to an ASCII symbol, in the same manner that π (the
constant) is bound to pi (the symbol). It is also currently bound to eu
<https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/blob/7d4c3a5c725cb697590411da3f75a3cfe136b30e/base/constants.jl#L68>

(Exponential Unit, I presume?), so we could use this, or something else (
naturalexponent seems like the most explicit one). Of all the constants, I
feel that e one of the least useful, as it's main applications
(logarithms/exponents) have their own functions.