If you wanted to implement such an algorithm, you would need to robust-ify
the multiplication as well, using a "two-product" style algorithm: this
paper goes into a lot of detail:
http://www.ti3.tu-harburg.de/paper/rump/OgRuOi05.pdf

Alternatively, you could use full double-double arithmetic: see
https://github.com/simonbyrne/DoubleDouble.jl

Simon