On Monday, 2 February 2015 16:59:19 UTC, Steven G. Johnson wrote:

> It might be nice to submit a patch to OpenBLAS to make their dot functions
> use pairwise summation; this is almost as accurate as KBN summation but
> with negligible performance penalty (for a large base case), so it should
> be possible to put together an attractive pull request.

intersting - but wouldn't performance suffer, or does nobody care about
Level1-BLAS performance? (this is really outside my domain)

> For Base, currently sum_kbn requires an AbstractArray; for use-cases like
> this it would be nice to support a variant of the form sum_kbn(function,
> iterator), so you could do
>
>      sum_kbn(pair -> conj(pair[1])*pair[2], zip(a, b))
>
> in order to compute the kbn dot product of a and b.

For my own applications, I really need something much better than pairwise
summation, which has ~\eps \sum |x[i]| error, so I will try this, but I'm
afraid your syntax goes over my head.  I suppose, this would require to
first rewrite sum_kbn?

Thanks, Christoph