On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 4:48:20 AM UTC-5, Christoph Ortner wrote:

> On Monday, 2 February 2015 16:59:19 UTC, Steven G. Johnson wrote:
>>
>> It might be nice to submit a patch to OpenBLAS to make their dot
>> functions use pairwise summation; this is almost as accurate as KBN
>> summation but with negligible performance penalty (for a large base case),
>> so it should be possible to put together an attractive pull request.
>>

> intersting - but wouldn't performance suffer, or does nobody care about
> Level1-BLAS performance? (this is really outside my domain)

No, there is no performance penalty.  (Or rather, the performance penalty
can easily be made 1% or less…basically unmeasurable.)   That is the whole
advantage of pairwise summation — you get nearly the accuracy of Kahan
summation (with only a logarithmic penalty) with nearly the performance of
naive summation.   That's why pairwise sums are the default algorithm for
Julia's sum function (and cumsum etc.).