On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 1:12:00 PM UTC-4, Steven Sagaert wrote:

> That wasn't what I was saying. I like the philosophy behind julia. But in
> practice (as of now) even in julia you still have to code in a certain
> style if you want very good performance and that's no different than in any
> other language.

The goal of Julia is not to be a language in which it is *impossible* to
write slow code, or a language in which all programming styles are equally
fast.   The goal (or at least, one of the goals) is to be an expressive,
high-level dynamic language, in which it is also *possible* to write
performance-critical inner-loop code.

That *is* different from other high-level languages, in which it is
typically *not* possible to write performance-critical inner-loop code
without dropping down to a lower-level language (C, Fortran, Cython...).
If you are coding exclusively in Python or R, and there isn't an optimized
function appropriate for the innermost loops of your task at hand, you are
out of luck.