I would suggest that this topic is moved over to a github issue by those that
are interested/participating.

I have observed a highly useful pattern of communication over the last year on
this list: someone brings up a topic that relates to a design
question/improvement of julia, there is a bit of discussion on the mailing
list, but once the discussion becomes extensive, someone will open up a github
issue, post the link to the issue on this mailinglist, and then the discussion
continues on github. This is effective because it keeps long discussion about
specific julia design areas that are of no interest to the larger julia-users
crowd off this list here (which specifically is NOT about the
development/design of julia, but about its use). At the same time those people
that are interested in the topic can hammer out a great design on github.

I feel this topic checks all the boxes: it is obviously super important and I’m
glad there are people looking into how string handling can be improved in
julia, but for the vast majority of readers of this list this is really
off-topic, and it has taken up a very large share of traffic over the last week
or so. So, a github issue seems ideal.

Thanks,

David