Hello colleague,

On Friday, May 15, 2015 at 12:08:10 PM UTC+2, Páll Haraldsson wrote:

> Do I need to be worried? My guess is 0.4 might be faster and maybe already
> be faster in all the cases below (do you know?):

i'm allowed to write that, because i already did my share in benchmarking
systems (20 years ago...): Benchmarks don't lie, but liars do benchmarks.

The comparison of the runtime for the implementation of small synthetic
programming problems in julia to other languages is a nice exercise and
gives some numbers as indication. But the room for interpretation stops
with that. I am seriously doubting that you see the same proportion of
numbers if you go to non-synthetic benchmarks or real world programming
cases. In the real world the performance of a program is dependend on a lot
more things than choosing an implementation language (in my work 20 years
ago, i benchmarked different fortran77 compilers on exactly the same
system). Julia is a quite nice user friendly language, but the actual
performance is happening in the compiler and the optimization steps
provided by LLVM.