On Sunday, 12 July 2015 22:47:42 UTC+2, Tony Kelman wrote:

> > I think there's a big differences between developing core features in
> packages and shipping them with the default version and having optional
> third party packages implementing core features.
>
> Like what, exactly? If the complaint is about ease of installation of
> packages, then that's a known and acknowledged bug (set of bugs) that
> people are thinking about how to do a better job of. We could always use
> more help making things better.

If there's a bunch of official packages that are shipped with default
version it's like having no packages, it's just a way for the devs to
organize their work internally that doesn't concern the user too much.

On the other hand for third party packages the user has to find them,
install them, debug them, worry about long term maintenance, etc. In
reality it's a bit more fuzzy than that, so maybe my distinction isn't so
relevant.

For plotting I think it would be better to have any plotting than none,
even though not everybody will agree on the best choice for the one. The
least dependencies seems the most important criteria to me, as long as you
can draw lines, points and surfaces with decent performances. The high
level interface doesn't matter that much in my opinion.