> Your path for includes doesn't have julia/src, which is where julia.h
> lives.

This is in part true, but is not the whole story.  Yes it is true that
julia.h is found
in src in the source directory tree, but the file julia.h as well as julia
the executable,
libjulia, etc get copied into the "installed" directory structure when
"make install"
is executed.  It's that structure that should be used (and optionally
lifted/copied
out of the build and put somewhere else) and in that tree, the src
directory does
not exist. Nor does it exist in any packaged version of Julia, so it would
be
better to assume that structure as this whole approach can eventually be
applied
to releases, nightly builds, etc.

I think what is going on is even though Kostas is performing a "make
install" he's
continuing to use the source directory structure instead of the installed
directory structure which is causing confusion -- for both julia-config and
me.

> jl_init_with_image("/home/kostav/julia/usr/lib/julia", "sys.so");

This is unfortunate if required, it should not be required.

It's good that something is working now, however, can we try one more thing

Perform make install again, and note the directory (it will be something
like julia-XXXXXXXX)
where XXXXXXXX is some hexadecimal number that all of this gets installed
to as described above, and copy that entire tree elsewhere (using cp -a),
 you can change
the name if you want, it's not necessary to preserve the name of the
directory.  Once that is done
change the PATH and/or use symbolic links if that's more convenient so that
julia is
the julia in THAT directory not the one in the source tree.

Then revert back to the cut-and-paste Makefile version rather than this
modified
version but keep the old one around somewhere just in case it does't work
out
so you don't have to re-create it from scratch.  That way if this attempt
ultimately
fails, you can as least have something going with what you have now by
switching
PATH back to what it is now.