Actually considering that we've been more strict about version discipline
than absolutely required by semver for 0.x.y, maybe we could pull a GCC and
just start treating major number the way we've been treating minor. It
might not be all that different, except we'd be able to do the "backporting
features" thing and have a very good way of dealing with it. So I retract
my incredulity.