There was an interesting discussion on the dev list not long ago
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/julia-dev/CYhPCQ4rCLY/ByyIW_Ka0ooJ> about
the release schedule of Julia. Although it focused more on timeline and
less on version numbering, it touched on several of the topics discussed in
this thread as well. We do have some “expectation problems” of our own in
the Julia community, for example as Tobi put it in the other thread:

the main issue is in my point that during a dev period feature come in and
people start to use the dev branch for regular development. The Compat
module is in my opinion made the wrong way around. What currently happens
is that unstable features are bypassed into a “released” package landscape.

Julia is an awesome project, and it’s going to be an awesome product when
it’s “done”. But currently, we’re in the middle of a phase of development
where you cannot expect to accurately predict where we’re going to be in
three or six months, much less predict a date for a 1.0 release (after all,
it was once said that *“we’ve been much more on top of the release process
this time”
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/julia-dev/CYhPCQ4rCLY/ByyIW_Ka0ooJ>* about
0.4, but we’re still falling behind schedule on this one too…). Don’t get
me wrong - I think this is totally fine for a project like Julia. We
*should* be experimenting, trying things out and taking the time to make
sure the decisions we make are the right ones.

But maybe we should stop expecting to have a production-quality product to
play around with.

(On the other hand, Julia programmers will probably always have high
expectations, considering Julia’s origins
<http://julialang.org/blog/2012/02/why-we-created-julia/>…)

// T

I guess the waters are a little muddied here lately with Rust having