I just now learned about this discussion and I see quite a few messages I
need to reply to.

I am very excited about a Julia version of unum arithmetic, and it does
seem like the ideal language for it. Alan Edelman, Deepak Vinchhi, and
Viral Shah proposed to create it with funding from A*STAR in Singapore, and
the last I heard, they were very likely to get funded.
(a...@juliacomputing.com, vi...@juliacomputing.com, and
deepak.vinc...@juliacomputing.com, if you want to contact them.) I also
received an email expressing interest in a Julia port of unums from David
P. Sanders (dpsand...@ciencias.unam.mx), who certainly would be interested
in this thread.

It is difficult to get across all the ramifications of unum arithmetic with
a PowerPoint presentation. I may be able to clear up some of the questions
I see here by posting replies. One thing that helps is Amazon's "Look
inside the book" option, which lets you read enough of the beginning to get
the definition of unum arithmetic and some other details, for free.