I read the book (well, somewhere between a skim and a proper read).  It's
not formal but it is clear and the ideas are concise.
I actually think it's a pretty good example of how to explain an idea
without unnecessary jargon.

As for unums themselves, I am mostly convinced of his arguments on unums.
 I am less convinced on ubounds.

My main takeaways are that a unum may represent a set of values, and it's
most salient properties are:

- Explicit (via ubit) handling of exact and inexact (i.e. set of) real
number
- Correct handling of open/closed bounds for sets of reals
- Variable size with size of number stored in number
- With hardware they could be as or more efficient in energy and speed as
floating arithmetic but hardware would be more complex

As a result of these properties, unums can be closed under arithmetic
operations and won't hide your errors due to approximation.

I don't buy the advantages he suggests over interval arithmetic; unums
don't solve the dependency problem.

I have been meaning to start a Unum.jl package myself.

Zenna