Simon: if I understand what you're suggesting, you'd like to add a
"rounding direction" flag whenever the ubit is set that would indicate
which direction you *would* round if you wanted to?  I like this idea, as
it allows you to throw away the implicit open interval in favor of a
rounded exact value (if that's what you want).  You potentially get the
best of both worlds, but with the speed/memory penalty of setting that
extra bit?  I can't really comment yet on how much processing this would
add...