On September 14, 2015 at 14:17:43, Daniel Carrera
(dcarr...@gmail.com(mailto:dcarr...@gmail.com)) wrote:
> On 14 September 2015 at 12:40, J Luis wrote:
> >

> > segunda-feira, 14 de Setembro de 2015 às 09:26:05 UTC+1, Daniel Carrera
> > escreveu:

> > > No it doesn't.
> > >
> > > C, C++, Perl, Python, Fortran, JavaScript, PHP, and arguably even Java
> > > became successful long before they acquired an IDE. I think that there
> > > are more languages that became successful without an IDE than with one,
> > > so let's not overstate the issue. An IDE is *good* to have because *some*
> > > people want them. Good documentation is more important. Having the right
> > > features and being at the right place at the right time is even more
> > > important.
> >
> > Yes it does (IMO off course)
>

> This is not a matter of opinion. This is an empirical claim. With little
> effort we can define a criterion for language success, and determine whether
> any language has ever become successful before it acquired an IDE. A single
> example (e.g. Fortran) falsifies the claim. In fact, I would make a stronger
> statement: that MOST successful languages achieve success before acquiring an
> IDE. Off the top of my head, I offer the following successful languages:
>
> Without IDE: C, C++, Perl, Python, Fortran, JavaScript, PHP, Java
>
> With IDE: C#, VisualBasic, Matlab

I suppose you could also take the counter-counterpoint of LISP. People not only
built IDEs but entire *machines* tailored specifically to running and debugging
LISP, and it still hasn’t (really) caught on (yet).

That said, I think the Clojure community provides a useful example for how to
approach the editor/IDE debate. All the early Clojure developers used emacs,
and much of the early community was either on emacs or vim (yes, there were a
few of us). In the intervening 7 or so years, though, as new developers who
were familiar with other IDEs entered the community, they began projects to
develop plugins for their IDE of choice. As such, Clojure now has first-rate
plugins for both Eclipse and IntelliJ.

It was really only later that projects were started to build “true” Clojure
IDEs, and still I don’t think any of these surpass (or even really approach)
the utility of the IDE plugins (the three IDEs of which I’m aware are:
LightTable, NightCode, and clooj).

One important element that allowed much of this for Clojure was the early
development of nREPL, the network-enabled REPL. With this, all editors/IDE
plugins stand on equal footing with access to the REPL. I noticed in the code
to REPL.jl there’s a function `start_repl_server`, but it doesn’t seem to be
used anywhere.

If I had to pick someplace to focus effort on improving tooling for Julia in
general, I’d look at improving/adding a network interface to the REPL.