On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 9:44:07 AM UTC-4, Andrei Zh wrote:

> To continue Michael's answer, I think it would be nice to collect list of
> most important features that existing editors for Julia still lack and
> think out what can be improved. So far I've seen following features:
>
>  * integrated debugger -- currently work in progress (Gallium.jl), so it
> may change soon
>  * better integration with REPL -- AFAIK, Emacs is the only editor that
> has this integration (via ESS mode) so far
>  * code refactoring
>  * built-in documentation (in addition to Julia's own help system, I
> suppose)
>  * built-in plots
>
> This doesn't look like a huge list. If this is what is needed for
> non-programmers to work with Julia without pain, I'd say we have a good
> chances to get it.

If you look carefully, you'll see work progressing on each and every one of
these projects, in some cases very rapidly.

* The new 0.4 documentation allows all sorts of access and search features
with extremely little amounts of code.
* Refactoring: https://github.com/jakebolewski/JuliaParser.jl/issues/22
* UI: There are two predominant threads of work, one in GTK and one in
Blink (JS-enabled web-like DOM windows).  Take a look at the new Immerse.jl
and https://github.com/JunoLab
* There's also interesting work in terminals themselves, making the REPL
more full-featured there.  Take a look at TerminalExtensions.jl for iTerm2
on OS X: you can display arbitrary images (like plots) inline and capture
backtraces in order to open an editor directly to the error with a
double-click.

It's only a matter of time before more of these things come together.  I
think it's really exciting!