[Sorry, again, off-topic, a follow-up question about Cxx.jl and some extra.]

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 11:30:45 AM UTC, Uwe Fechner wrote:

> Keno's Cxx.jl " currently requires the head version of LLVM. This is
> fragile, but furthermore the compilation with
> the newest version of LLVM is very slow.

A.
You mean very slow, just for Cxx.jl, or in general?

> These are issues that are currently being addressed (see:
> https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/9336)  but probably not fixed
> before Julia 0.5.

About this issue, I see "No milestone" and "up for grabs", while I'm not
sure this is for newbies.. Or is it (for those how can at least just
compile)? All the checkboxes are checked except for two, and they do not
have issue numbers.

My understanding was that Cxx.jl needed 0.4 (for staged functions) and I
thought it worked (for a long time now) with 0.4 (pre-rc). I'm confused, or
maybe you are? LLVM is a dependency/"part of" of Julia. I'm not sure if it
is compiled in or whatever (and for most stuff I don't need to know/care,
Cxx.jl seems to be the exception). Are you saying I just need to recompile
my own Julia with a newer LLVM (and not change/provide patches to core
0.4.0-rc2), or even just provide a newer one as a shared library somehow?

With "available by default" I mean, that a pre-compiled version of Julia
> can be used.

What you mean then is not just a "bundle" (such as with Juno+Julia)? And
0,5 is not needed? If stuff that is needed is in master right now and not
in 0.40-rc2, is it not then likely, that it will be backported to 0.4.x?

B.
I might use C++ libraries (or recommend to others that you can), but not
for GUI/"enterprise" applications, however curious about the potential for
GUI (I think I'll stick to trying web stuff out). One outside perspective I
hear, is that nothing can really compete against Java for "enterprise" by a
long shot (not because of merit of language, but Java is just so dominant,
has many programmers, for other languages to catch up). That guy even
excluded other languages, e.g. Scala, targeting the JVM, so not a
library/framework issue.