Optimization should definitely be on this list. The JuMP package is just
phenomenal, in my mind a much better overall experience for many problems than
any existing alternative.

From: julia-users@googlegroups.com [mailto:julia-users@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Andrei Zh
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 1:58 PM
To: julia-users <julia-users@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [julia-users] Re: What are the "strengths" of the Julia "ecosystem"
(e.g. for bio and quants/finance)? This is not a very specific question (while
sub-questions are), you've been warned..

If you are looking for a best in the class libraries, you probably won't find
many. This is implied by a simple fact that most such libraries had already
been created in other languages by the time Julia was born. However, if you
want something comparable to such best libraries, then I would stress the
following areas (from my experience and highly subjectively, of course):

 * image processing (e.g. Images.jl, ImageView.jl), which still changes, but
has quite impressive functionality already

 * deep learning (e.g. Mocha.jl, Strada.jl, Boltzmann.jl) - fast, full
functional, easy to use and modify libraries (compare to frameworks in C++ or
Theano, for example)

 * concurrent, parallel and distributed programming (core Julia) - far behind
Python or R, probably comparable with Erlang

 * GPU computing (see JuliaGPU organization) - pretty convenient, especially
combined with Julia's compilation to native code

 * symbolic and metaprogramming (macros, Calculus.jl) -  like Lisp with infix
notation or SymPy, built in the language

I also expect that Julia will become more popular with development of new areas
for which there are no good libraries at all and Julia may become perfect
solution. At the same time, to keep people involved, we not only need to add
more strengths, but also remove weaknesses. And Julia's web stack seems to be
one of the biggest weaknesses, so if you are interested and wish to contribute,
please, do it.