Well you mentioned "Thread support for Julia" and I could imagine that
there are academic partners that could work on this if they could get
funding.

The problem with finding a postdoc that does software development is indeed
tricky. Usually this will not be full time but people will work on a
scientific topic and write software "because it is needed". There are
various people around Julia that work this way. Best example is Jeff who
made his Phd while developing Julia. The fftw library was also developed as
part of a research work.

Cheers

Tobias