Hi Edgar,

> PS: aren't there projects using geotools libraries? how do they handle
> interface changes etc.?

In GeoServer, we always make sure our "stable" branch is on a geotools
"stable" branch. For example, GeoServer 1.5.x is based on Geotools
2.3.x. We do not allow any changes to api on stable geotools branches,
or any major changes in functionality, strictly bug fixes. We generally
stay on one of these stable branches from 6 to 8 months. This has
effectively shielded us from the instability, however does really help
all that much we make a minor version change. Undoubtedly one of the
reasons why we stay on a stable branch for so long.

-Justin

--
Justin Deoliveira
The Open Planning Project