Martin,

I've found the code that deals with display of the attributes and geometry in the Info tab, unfortunately the current implementation only allows extension of the geometry rendering via getFeatureTextWriterRegistry on WorkbenchContext.

What would be nice is to modify the FeatureTextWriterRegistry so that you could registerGeometryWriter and registerAttributeWriter and have the corresponding iterateGeometryWriters and iterateAttributeWriters.

Then we would need to modify GeometryInfoTab so that it has buttons for geometry and attribute display types.

I can make these changes and post a diff for people to review if they think this is useful.

Paul

Martin Davis wrote:
Can't say offhand - but it should be pretty obvious by looking at the code. I seem to remember the design was pretty clean.

I'm not sure if the Feature Info frame was designed to be very pluggable, so you may have to expose some internals via public methods.

Paul Austin wrote:
Hi Martin,

Which class currently implements the attribute view under the Feature Info frame?

Cheers,
Paul

Martin Davis wrote:
Is your use case only for a property which contains a single Feature? The general case would be to have a property which contains a FeatureCollection (this is the full GML model, for instance). In this case the UI gets a bit more complicated.

How are you creating the Feature property? Do you need to spatially visualize it? I'm asking these questions because while your use case may simply be to view a single Feature property, it's nice to look a bit further down the road at a more general design, in order to avoid making the implementation overly specific and hard to extend.

In general supporting a hierarchical feature model introduces tons of issues all through JUMP... which is why we didn't go there at first. The closest we got was to support a custom object hierarchy and expose different classes of it as separate FeatureCollections. This allowed treating the various classes as map layers, which worked pretty well. But this was all custom code and hard to make general-purpose.

As for the code-value entry plugin, the general concept would clearly be nice to have. Would your entry screen only support that single attribute, or would you make a general entry panel which showed all attributes? This was talked about a week or two ago - it would be nice to have this as another view in the Attribute View window. How would you supply the code-value mapping?

Paul Austin wrote:
I have a data set where a property of a feature is another feature object. In the schema it has the type Object but it's actually a Feature instance.What I would like to do is have the following.

   1. A right click on the feature row to view the whole feature and
      have a view/edit feature frame that would display the list of
      property names and values with nested panels for each nested
      feature.
   2. Use the feature display panel to display the feature on say roll
      over of a complex property value

Has anyone worked on such a feature? If not I'll start writing one.

Also I was thinking that in databases you have the concept of code lookup tables, I was thinking of a plugi-in that you can configure to display the code value instead of the code ID and have a drop down for changing the values instead of entering the codes.

Paul