Hi Larry,

At the moment the FeatureSchema is designed just to allow you to get the
list of attributes for a feature. If you want to know the "type" of
feature you are dealing with you have to know the layer the feature is
in to get the "type" of the feature. I would say that 99% of the time
the name of the feature schema would be the same as the layer name.

I would probably not persist the feature schema name in the .jmp file,
instead internally in jump update the feature schema name when the layer
name changes. This of course would not be the case if we had "themed"
layers as per Martins suggestions regarding the Catalogue concept.

Here are the cases where it would be used.

   1. For features that contain properties that are features (they don't
      have to have geometry), I think I'm the only one using this and
      it's supported by JUMP as a property can contain any object value
   2. Where you want to process a feature collection and don't have the
      associated layer but would want to do some QA tasks that vary
      based on the type of feature. For example you could have a minimum
      length plug-in that could have different minimum lengths for road
      vs. river segments

The name on the feature is the only change I require to the feature
model in JUMP (for now ;) )

Paul