There is almost too much good stuff going on around here to keep up with. :]

Paul wrote: "I agree if the open source GIS community can agree on a
single in memory Java representation for geographic features that
would make all the tools more interoperable."

You should definitely get more involved with the GeoTools folks. We
had some pretty extensive discussion about this very issue not to long
ago on this mailing list. Some of the GeoTools folks participated, as
did Frank Wammerdam. (Frank is no longer subscribed.)

I think we identified some of the reasons why adopting the GeoTools
feature model into OpenJUMP at "one time" isn't practical. However, we
had some general agreement that it would be good to move OpenJUMP
towards using the GeoTools feature model as we move forward.

I will be using the GeoTools feature model in my FeatureCache
implementation, which will allow me to store features from and data
source for which there exists a GeoTools driver. One of my goals in
the use of the GeoTools feature model in this project was to see how
well it will play with OpenJUMP. It will give me a chance to get to
know the GeoTools code that is involved, and will help me identify
challenges that exist in our eventual migration of OpenJUMP to the
GeoTools feature model.

A key first step in making this migration is creating an class that
can convert between GeoTools Feature objects and JUMP Feature objects.
Edgar Soldin has already done some work in this area and I hope to
continue it.

In summary, we are a long ways towards sharing a common feature model
with UDig, but I think we are starting to explore that possibility
with some concrete steps. I think there is wisdom in this, because "if
the open source GIS community can agree on a single in memory Java
representation for geographic features" it will be the one in
GeoTools.

Paul wrote: "Here are the requirements I have.

Ids can be any type not just an int
Properties can contain complex objects including other features or POJO
Properties can contain a collection (List or Set) value
Features don't have to have a schema (useful when transforming a
feature from one schema to another) "

I'm almost positive that the GeoTools folks have already considered
many of these issues. In the end developers have to find the balance
between the ultimate flexibility and a system that can be used. By its
very nature a system must have some structure to be usable, and
structure means constraints. For example, the most flexible way to
represent geographic features in Java would be to just have them
extend of the Object class. But that doesn't do anyone a lot of good,
does it?

You need to be able to assume some things about the Feature you are
working with, and that means it has to obey some rules. I think it
would be foolish to debate again what has already been debated by some
of the smart folks at GeoTools. I think they must have good reasons
for settling on the feature model they chose.

I really don't think the best solution is significantly changing
OpenJUMP's feature model, but adopting and then working to improve the
GeoTools feature model.

The Sunburned Surveyor

On 6/4/07, Paul Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The reason I was thinking of Object type for Ids is that then you could use
> a Long, Integer or String for the feature ID depending on the type of data.
> I normally use Long but some models may use String based globally unique
> ids, I wouldn't want to use String for numeric fields all the time.
>
> On the schema issue, I still like to have a schema associated with a feature
> but not making it mandatory, having the schema there allows you to do
> validation on the feature to make sure it conforms to the schema (e.g. type
> and allowed values for enumerations).
>
> When I'm looking at a feature model I'm looking at it for passing around in
> a processing pipeline for transformation, spatial processing and validation
> rather than just for the display in JUMP.
>
> Paul
>

> Michaël Michaud wrote:
> Hi Paul,

1. Do you really need Object type for ids (I think ids are Strings
> in
GeoTools - don't know if there is performance penality compared to int

ids, or some cases where a genaral Object type is needed)
2/3. If I can
> remember, GeoTools complex feature model fulfill 2 and 3
requirements, and
> define a subclass (SimpleFeature ?) looking like
jump's feature model (more
> or less)
4. I already thought that a feature should't have a schema.

Fundamentally, I think a feature is like a map with attribute/value
pairs,
> and that feature schema belong to the feature collection level.
It would be
> interesting to know why jump's designers have choosen to
include a
> featureschema reference in each feature.

Michaël

Paul Austin a écrit :

> I agree if the open source GIS community can agree on a single in
memory
> Java representation for geographic features that would make all
the tools
> more interoperable. Right now I'm using my own schema and
feature model but
> would prefer not to maintain that in the future.
Here are the requirements
> I have.

 1. Ids can be any type not just an int
 2. Properties can contain
> complex objects including other features
 or POJO
 3. Properties can contain
> a collection (List or Set) value
 4. Features don't have to have a schema
> (useful when transforming a
 feature from one schema to
> another)

Paul

Download DB2 Express C - the FREE
> version of DB2 express and take
control of your XML. No limits. Just data.
http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/