Some comments:

1. The IDs in JUMP were really intended to be for internal system use
only, in order to give Features a unique identity. This capability is
currently barely used (which is a good thing!), but I think it should be
preserved as is (since this is the more memory, design and processing
efficient way of assigning IDs).

If you need a different kind of ID, just add another attribute to your
FeatureSchema.

2&3. This is already really supported (at least for POJOs).  What isn't
supported is describing the resulting object model in the FeatureSchema
model.  Some extension here might be good (at the risk of making things
more complex).  I think the deegree Feature model might do this.

4. I am *really* not in favour of this concept.  Once you throw away the
schema, you don't have much left in a Feature.  Java already has a
"typeless variable-length container" - it's called a List.

If you are finding it painful to migrate data between FeatureSchemas,
you can always write some helper methods.  Or dump your data into a List
and move it that way.

Paul Austin wrote:
> I agree if the open source GIS community can agree on a single in
> memory Java representation for geographic features that would make all
> the tools more interoperable. Right now I'm using my own schema and
> feature model but would prefer not to maintain that in the future.
> Here are the requirements I have.
>
>    1. Ids can be any type not just an int
>    2. Properties can contain complex objects including other features
>       or POJO
>    3. Properties can contain a collection (List or Set) value
>    4. Features don't have to have a schema (useful when transforming a
>       feature from one schema to another)
>

> Paul

Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect