Yep, makes sense.

Er - don't you mean that the FeatureMapper would map a Feature with one
schema into a Feature with a different schema? Not sure what you mean by
"This interface would be defined to work with a single schema".

Personally I have only rarely needed this level of generalization in the
code I've written.  For the kinds of geoprocessing plugins I've written
for JUMP, the amount of code needed to do a mapping is far, far
outweighed by the code for actually implementing the function.

Paul Austin wrote:
> Martin,
>
> For the feature mapper I think we would need an interface that would
> define the contract of mapping from one feature to another. This
> interface would be defined to work with a single schema.
>
> public interface FeatureMapper {
>   Feature convert(Feature feature);
> }
>

> There would be a default implementation that can be configured by
> specifying the source and target FeatureSchema and a map from source to
> target attribute names. This can be used by plug-ins or even better
> configuration files to create simple mappings.
>
> There is also need for a more complex mapper that can create attribute
> values using some kind of processing (e.g. a Point from attribute
> converter), this could also be done in a configurable approach.
>
> Paul

Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect
Refractions Research, Inc.