I agree with michael on this issue. We shouldn't include the ECW DLL with the
main OJ distro.

Sent from myTouch 4G

----- Reply message -----
From: "Michaël Michaud" <michael.mich...@free.fr>
To: "OpenJump develop and use" <jump-pilot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [JPP-Devel] ecw licensing is no issue
Date: Fri, Oct 7, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi,

First of all, thanks for great explanation, especially from Ede and Jukka.

As this is time for decision, I will give my vote :
- a core distribution of OJ excluding ermapper dll
   (which means also NB without these dll)
- a rich distribution (-s) bundled with plugins including ecw dll

My reasons
- license : you all convinced me there are "probably" no license issue
   however, we cannot get these dll from erdas can we ? Until we get
   dll+license or a clear agreement from erdas, I'm not 100% confident.
- opensource : I feel that OJ has to play a (humble) role in opensource
   promotion. I would say open standard like wkt, gml or jp2 must be
   native datasources for openJUMP whilst close format like ecw must just
   be made possible (if possible). I cannot imagine that the wide
adoption of
   ecw is not related to the slow adoption of jp2.
- modularity : I also think that keeping a small core version of OpenJUMP
   with few dependencies is a good exercice for the software scalability.
   The only reason we have to include all capabilities in the main
distribution
   is that we don't have a good plugin manager.

That said, we are not too many contributors to keep OJ alive, so that I'll
be happy to adopt what the majority decide.

Michaël