Hi Eric,

Nice to see you still use OpenJUMP ;-)
Currently, I'm not in favour of this change and have a few reasons :

I'm working on a new postgis driver where I need to manage database identifiers.
Often, database identifiers use bigint (from sequence). bigint are naturally
converted to java long and I choose to encapsulate it into an Object (it has been
converted to a String until september 2013).

Casting a bigint to an int does not seem safe enough to me. For a count
operation, it is ok as we rarely manage more than 1M features in OJ, but for
identifiers, it would be really unsafe.

Moreover, it is quite easy to cast count() to int explicitely with for example
"SELECT code, count (*)::integer as nb FROM anyTable GROUP BY 1"

I have also tested to cast AttributeType.OBJECT to AttributeType.INTEGER
afterwards in the schema editor, and it seems to work well.

Other opinions ?

in com.vividsolutions.jump.datastore.jdbc.ValueConverterFactory

Currently the bigint in database table is transcribed into a String object type.
But the default type of aggregation is also bigint.
for example:

SELECT code_departement, count (*) as nb
FROM anyTable
GROUP BY 1

nb has bigint!

I think we should change the type attribute has AttributType.Object to AttributType.INTERGER
What is your opinion on the subject?

regards
Eric

October Webinars: Code for Performance