Hi Michael,
I tested your plugin.
- I create a new layer and called *Test_Layer*
- Add an attribute to the layer, called "*Test_attribute*"
- Open XML file. On lines   <*button icon="...." text="..." atomic="true"
layer="..."*>,  I modified *layer=**"Test_Layer*"
- On the lines  <*attribute name="..." value="..."/*>. I modified*
attribute=**"Test_attribute"*. For each lines I modified* value=**"value1*",*
value="**value2"*, etc. Where *value1, value2*, etc are the values I want
to use
It works. Option* tooltip="...."* can to be set to recognize the values and
attributes, for instance tooltip=*"Test_attribute - value4"*

I agree with Jukka, we need a manual or a documented example.
Wiki wil be a good idea.

Best regards