Hi Ede,
I did some test on older OJ build and I can confirm that the problem starts
from OpenJUMP-20171129-r5596-PLUS, at least for me.
see also you note: https://sourceforge.net/p/jump-pilot/code/5596/

I suspect a problem somewhere on class
org.openjump.core.rasterimage.RasterImageIO.
Can you revert this depency?  I seems to me the easest way to check (and
possible solve) the problem for next real.