Hi Ede,
sorry, I sent the message just a microsecond I received yours

>how about we modify the sources eg. TIFFUtil and others instead to fit
your need instead?
Yes

>i don't understand. you mean retrieving georeferencing values, image
dimensions, both?
georeferencing values. In the way sextante load files there is a first step
(in AddRasterImageWizard class to understand those values without loading
the image (for TIFF files) - than all the process is activated through the
other classes (excuse me for my very poor way to explain)