Congratulations for these great results and these ports Peppe! I really like the colours of your raster interpolations -- they are quite refreshing / juicy :)

I don't know if this would be of interest to you but I developed in the past a TPS (Thin Plate Spline) interpolation [1] in order to create contour lines (vector) from a layer of XYZ points/coordinates for example. I even developed a quick OJ plugin to visually test the results but I never released it. If you're interested to add this kind of interpolation, I could release the code in open source somewhere. It should be relatively straightforward to compute an image from it, as once the TPS parameters have been estimated, it's possible to compute any z value for a given (x, y), and therefore to attach this value to your GridExtent / Raster. Just let me know if are interested.

Best,
Eric