Hi,

I am interested in seeing that TPS interpolation in action. I have been playing
a bit with depth data from echo sounders and that kind of data has some special
features that make trouble for most interpolation methods that I have been
trying. Perhaps the best experience so far is from the “surface” method of GMT
https://docs.generic-mapping-tools.org/latest/surface.html.

What makes echo sounder data difficult is that the density of data points is
high along the lines ……… (like 1 point per meter) but the survey lines are for
example 50-150 meters apart. A wide search radius is smoothing too much along
the lines and real details are lost, but a small search radius tends to make
big false humps between the lines.

I placed some test data into http://latuviitta.org/downloads/depth_data.zip

  *   14.851.1.001.csv depth data, EPSG:3067
  *   shapefile about the shoreline
  *   rendered dem
  *   rendered hillshade

The DEM is not too bad but it has enough linear artefacts to show the need for
improvements. Shoreline is included and it was given for the surface method as
a breakline with constant height=0.

GRASS has similar method v.surf.rst v.surf.rst - GRASS GIS manual
(osgeo.org)<https://grass.osgeo.org/grass78/manuals/v.surf.rst.html>. I have
also used a non-open software that gives nice results but I only know that it
is using TIN method with some special smoothing.

-Jukka Rahkonen-