If you're going for pure ethernet I'd suggest that you go for the MX w/ the GE and 10G DPCE for Juniper solution or the Cisco 7600 w/ the SIP-600+SPA or ES-20 LCs or others. (As an example). If you do have the intention to run non-ethernet interfaces, the MX-FPC2/FPC3 w/ the PICs will be cost factor which you may want to take into consideration against other boxes or vendor(s)' solutions.

Cheers, thanks.

--raymondh

On Feb 5, 2009, at 4:33 AM, Phil Palanchi wrote:

We're in the same 10G boat as Ken and Mark so I'm really appreciating all the contributions to this thread! Actually have a meeting next week with our Juniper account to discuss 10G platforms so this topic is very timely.

We have 3 m10i's in our extranet with a couple of OC12 PICs, AS- PICs. IPv4/
someday IPv6, Multicast.

Thanks,
Phil

-----Original Message-----
From: juniper-nsp-boun...@puck.nether.net
[mailto:juniper-nsp-boun...@puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of ken lindahl
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 11:17 AM
To: juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [j-nsp] Upgrade from M10i?

On 2/3/2009 6:30 AM, Mark Johnson wrote:
We need at least 4 x 10G ports and 8 x 1G ports, IPv4/IPv6,
OSPFv2/OSPFv3, full BGP (peering/transit), no MPLS and that's about it.

While I love Junipers I would consider Cisco so if anyone might
suggest suitable Cisco models I'd also appreciate that.

Kind regards,

Mark

i'm have approximately the same requirements as Mark and considering the MX480 vs M120 choice, so i very much appreciate the comments folks have made about the MX series. we have an M120 and are happy with it, but there is a substantial price difference between the MX480 and M120, and we have no need
for non-ethernet interfaces.

Mark did not mention multicast explicitly; we need this router to do
IPv4/IPv6 multicast. has anyone got any experience with multicast on the MX
series?

thanks,
ken

p.s.: it's worth noting that adding "tunnel PIC capability" to an MX, in
order to have it act as an RP, uses a full slot in the chassis.