EX3200 - You can add 10G ports without losing the 1G ports on the main board... has to do with the internal architecture.

EX4200 - No loss of ports anywhere. It has a 3rd PFE chip which can handle the extra capacity.

The problem lies with the fact that the EX3200 only has 2 PFE chips, while the EX4200 has 3 PFE chips. There is literally "not enough wires" on the EX3200 in order to support 4 x GE on the expansion slot as well as all the internal ports.

However, the EX3200 does have wires "hard coded" for 2 x 10GE going to the expansion slot.

- Chris.