I seem to remember some discussion about how memory usage was reported changing between the 8.x and 9.x releases. ie, it would report much higher usage in newer releases but was still using basically the same amount of memory. Perhaps a change in the underlying freebsd.

Brendan Mannella wrote:
What version of code are you using. I have two m7i's, each taking one full table. One runs 8.5 and the other 9.3 and there is a VERY big difference in memory usage.

Brendan Mannella, CEO
TeraSwitch Networks Inc.
Office: 412.224.4333 x303
Mobile: 412.592.7848