Hey Michael,

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 at 17:09, Michael Hare <michael.h...@wisc.edu> wrote:

> When I was a bit greener with our MPLS network I would experience the same
> concern as Alexandre when a dual connected customer lost a PE, in that I
> would experience loss of service waiting for BGP to timeout.  I briefly went
> down the wrong path (IMHO) of BFD everywhere, including on directly connected
> links (yes, I know BFD can help for control plane issues, but 99%+ of the
> time for us it is 'switch-in-the-middle' problem).  I even put multihop BFD
> on my iBGP sessions, which I later removed.  The correct configuration (at
> least in my experience) was to invalidate BGP next hops, as Saku points out,
> and keep the BGP session up (assuming outage is less than 60s - 90s and
> normal timers), so I had no delay in re-estalbishing BGP and repopulating RIB
> in the flap was brief.

This is highly subjective, but I do not like BFD. I would only
consider BFD when L1 liveliness does not work (L2 in between or such).
I think issues undetected by L1 liveliness detection is far smaller
than issues caused by BFD false positives.

I like your solution of limiting resolution, because this is
essentially same as making BGP convergence depend entirely on IGP
convergence, for ~free. Potentially add ADD-PATH and PIC and you can
have redundant route already programmed in HW, requiring no SW
convergence to switch to backup path.

--
  ++ytti