> On Aug 29, 2018, at 1:14 AM, Rob Foehl <r...@loonybin.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018, adamv0...@netconsultings.com wrote:
>
>> Just out of curiosity is there a business problem/requirement/limitation
>> you're trying to solve by not changing the next hop to v6 mapped v4 address
>> and using native v6 NHs instead please?
>
> I'd asked a similar question as the OP two weeks ago in the thread about
> mixing v4 and v6 in the same BGP peer groups, after several responses
> extolling the virtues of avoiding any conflation between the two.  If that's
> the case for routing, but forwarding v6 in an entirely v4-dependent manner on
> a 100% dual stack network is tolerable, then this inconsistency is...
> inconsistent.
>
> By all outward appearances, v6 is still a second class citizen when it comes
> to TE, and it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask why this is the way it is in
> 2018.  There are plenty of valid reasons for wanting parity.
>
>> On contrary 6PE/6VPE is such a well-trodden path.
>
> The world is covered with well-trodden paths that have fallen into disuse
> with the arrival of newer, better, more convenient infrastructure.

Yes, I’m always reminding folks that router-id may be well known to be the same
integer representation of your IP address in the protocol encoding, but often
it’s not a requirement.

I would like to see some of the gaps closed that prevent me from having an IPv6
loopback in my BGP OPEN message, but then again, I could just use the integer
value of the serial number of my router instead.

- Jared