Hi,

    How wrong we where doing that with our MX960, QFX5100, and a few MX104 =D.

    One of our OOB is a bunch of EX2300 switches using STP, on a different set of dark fiber linking a few Metro data centers together... but as usual with JNP...  one went nuts and started spewing packets from the other link while shifting left a few bytes.  When those packets hit our fpx0s, dos protect did <beep> all and killed their CPU dropping everything BGP and MPLS (thx JNP) on most routers connected to the OOB network.

    Now, at each site, we have a mini putter (Lenovo/Zotac/etc) with SSD, Sealink serial ports, Consumer xDSL/Coax, MFA encrypted VPN. We enable fxp0 *if* needed...

Other things to think about:

    1. We're even looking at swapping to Cisco L2 switches instead of JNPs, since this type of event never happened, in our collective experience, with that brand.

    2. Using OSPF3 (or IS-IS to limit OSPF injection) would have limit the fpx0 DoS to the local OOB switch...  Which is still too risky for our taste.

    3. You could use Serial->Ethernet devices instead of the Sealink but if the OOB switch goes down again, you cannot access the serials.

    PS: In our case it is our fiber bundles and we didn't need to invest in DWDM ... but its the same idea.  For years an associate of mine implemented a very large deployment of OOB over DWDM and Cisco L2 switches with 0 downtime.

    Have fun and good luck.

-----
Alain Hebert                                aheb...@pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770     Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911  http://www.pubnix.net    Fax: 514-990-9443