On 30/Jul/20 12:35, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

> To be fair there are more than two Juniper customers world wide that
> are using 48V DC. To my knowledge DC power is very common in the telco
> world.

DC is common, agreed. I just tend to avoid it.

During my Malaysia days, I found the company running kit on DC. When we
did the revamp of the network, we moved all of that to AC. Saved plenty
of space, simplified wiring and troubleshooting, and we were more native
with the data centres we housed in.

Same thing happened when I moved down to South Africa. Everything was on
DC, including the servers. Moved all that to AC, much to the delight of
our Facilities manager. Adding a UPS to support AC backup vs. adding
batteries and rectifiers, was good news.

More and more carrier-neutral data centres are now preferring AC. They
still do offer DC, but it's a whole thing that can cost extra depending
on where you are. I suppose it makes sense given that the cloud bags
need space, and they don't generally run their servers on DC.

There are some carrier-neutral DC's that don't offer any DC at all. All
they'll give you is footprint to deploy your own rectifier.

> What is special about ACX710 is probably the price point. They want a
> device for a certain market without loosing the ability to sell a
> higher priced device for another market.

I actually found out the reason why the ACX710 exists the way it does.
It's not what any of us think it is.

Suffice it to say, this box was built for mobile operators. 5G and what-not.

Mark.