So my SE came back to me a short while ago to say that at present, routing protocols will not be disabled if an MX304 (or some future box/code designed for the same authorization framework) does not have the appropriate license installed.

He did add, however, that Juniper are considering enforcing routing protocol licenses in the future, and that he cannot say, with any certainty, that this will not become a thing in the future.

I'd suggest staying very close to our SE's for the desired outcome we want for this development. As we have seen before, Juniper appear reasonably open to operator feedback, but we would need to give it to them to begin with.

Mark.