On 1/10/24 19:50, Richard McGovern via juniper-nsp wrote:

The “difference” is that either SKU above does not contain a [Flex] Feature
License. Some Feature License, Adv or Prem, at some term (years or perpetual)
must now be included if you want any MX to do any L3 or above features. So
basically without some Feature License tied the HW SN via some Flex Feature
License, it is a good boat anchor!

For information on Flex Licenses go here -
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/license/juniper-licensing-user-guide/topics/concept/licenses-for-juniper-software.html

This change in how MX and other Juniper products has been driven by Stock
Analysist and other vendors. “I don’t make the news, I just report it”

I can believe this.

If other vendors are dumping honor-based or perpetual licenses, it would be commercially silly to not follow suit.

Kind of like what Broadcom have done since picking up VMware, and telling customers to move to subscription-based billing in lieu of perpetual licenses.

Mark.