On 12/8/23 19:36, Jared Mauch via juniper-nsp wrote:

I’ll also comment that many software suites don’t scale to 10’s or 100’s of
million of paths

Keep in mind paths != routes and many folks don’t always catch the difference
between them.  If you have a global network like 2914 (for example) you may be
peering with someone in 10-20 places globally so if they send you 10k routes, *
20 locations that’s 200k paths(exits), then move to someone with 100k or 400k
prefixes like 3356 had at one point, those numbers go up quite a bit.

Our outfit was not as large as 2914 or 3356 when I worked there, but our RR's saw about 12.5 million IPv4 paths and 2.9 million IPv6 paths.

The clients saw about 6 million paths and 1.2 million paths, respectively.

The biggest issues to think about his how the RE handles path churn, which can be very high in a setup such as this, because while it provides excellent path stability for downstream eBGP customers, it creates a lot of noise inside your core.

Mark.