I am using Network Log v2.25.1, on (rooted) CM10.2.1, to see which apps are
connecting to the internet in the background.  Network Log lists the
network activity per app, showing the IP address, packets, bytes and
times.  So, right now it shows that K-9 Mail is sending 10 packets (and
receiving 10 packets) every 55 seconds to 157.240.1.35:0 (ICMP/wlan0).

This is straight after installing K-9 Mail, without opening the app for a
first time, and thus have not yet added any email accounts.  If I uninstall
K-9 Mail, then Network Log stops registering this activity (i.e. no other
apps are shown as connecting to 157.240.1.35).  If I reinstall K-9 Mail,
then the pinging of 157.240.1.35 starts again.  Whois says that IP address
is Facebook.