I am using a custom ROM, dating from the heyday of CyanogenMod.  It is easy
enough to remove unwanted system apps (if you've got root access); in my
case, that'd be the proprietory Google Apps.  Android works just fine
without them.  None of the forty or so apps that I've got installed
strictly need Play Services.  Besides the practicality, it's matter of
principle.  Free, as in speech, not beer.