Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 06:00:00 -0700
Subject: Surfing the Net with Kids Newsletter:  Online Research
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Barbara J. Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Yes, you may forward this newsletter to parents, teachers,
librarians, and anyone else you think may enjoy it!

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Today's Surfnetkids newsletter is brought to you by the
following sponsors.  Please take a look at their offers;
without their support, this newsletter wouldn't be possible.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Are you responsible for your organization's Web site?

Learn how to create interactive word searches, scramblers,
and jigsaws with the low-cost tools explained in
"How to Add Games to Your Site." As a special bonus item, all
buyers get a copy of "How to Add Quizzes to Your Site."

Buy now, download immediately and have games on your site
in an hour! http://how2add.com/cgi-bin/pl/pl.cgi?nl

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

                Just for DVD Owners

Rent DVD movies online and have them mailed to your home
with Netflix.com. I love renting DVDs from Netflix.com because
I can rent as many DVDs as I want each and every month for
one low monthly fee. Try it yourself and see!

Here's a NetFlix.com trial courtesy of Surfnetkids:
http://www.surfnetkids.com/cgi-local/pl/pl.cgi?nf

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

September 25, 2002

Dear Reader,

Today I've got two great new Surfnetkids features to announce.

1) Yesterday we added over fifty printable word search puzzles
with answer keys to the Printables Club.  Members can check them
out by logging in (http://www.surfnetkids.com/printables/).  The
rest of you can see them by signing up for a free trial membership:
http://surfnetkids.com/printables-club.htm

2) For those of you with educational and family-oriented Web sites,
Surfnetkids has expanded our offering of f^ree online content to
include a semi-monthly feature titled "Best of Surfing the Net
with Kids."  Just place a small piece of code on your Web site,
and without any additional effort (or cost) you'll be displaying
topical site reviews from our extensive archive.  Wow!
Sign up at: http://www.surfnetkids.com/daily.html

This week Printables Club Members also:
        1) learn about two online language translation sites
        2) learn about a personal collection of over 1200
           international banknotes
        3) learn about a site that lets kids profit from selling
           t-shirts, hats and mugs printed with their artwork
        4) get a two-page Internet enrichment printable of today's
           topic

Click for a F^REE trial membership to Printables Club:
http://surfnetkids.com/printables-club.htm

Member Login:  http://www.surfnetkids.com/printables/

See ya on the Net,
Barbara J. Feldman
"Surfing the Net with Kids"
http://www.surfnetkids.com

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
       Online Research and Web Site Evaluation
            by Barbara J. Feldman
       http://www.surfnetkids.com/research.htm

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

            RELATED BOOKS:
http://surfnetkids.com/cgi-bin/books.cgi?Online+Research

          RELATED NEWS ARTICLES:
http://surfnetkids.com/cgi-bin/elibrary.cgi?student%20research

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Knowing how to use a search engine and follow hyperlinks is not
the same as knowing how to use the Internet for research.
Serious research requires authoritative sources, and since
anyone can publish a Web page, it is important to be able to
evaluate what you find online. Today's selections take a look at
the whole research process: finding useful sites, evaluating
them, and creating bibliographic citations.

ClassZone: Web Research Guide
http://www.classzone.com/books/research_guide/
*****
This tutorial to teach middle-school students to research,
evaluate and cite Web sites starts with a quiz to evaluate how
much you already know about using the Internet. Next, you'll
find five lessons, starting with an exploration of the Internet
versus the Library.  "Why use both? Because each has resources,
benefits, and limitations that the other does not."  The Teacher
Guide provides a short overview of the site, along with a
single-page glossary of terms used throughout the tutorial.

Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators: Critical Evaluation Surveys
http://school.discovery.com/schrockguide/eval.html
*****
To help even the youngest of students to think critically about
Web sites, Kathy Schrock has designed three grade-appropriate
site evaluation forms.  The first is for elementary grades ("Do
the pictures and photographs on the page help you learn?"); the
second for middle school ("Is the information on the page useful
for your project?"); and the third for high-school students
("Would it have been easier to get the information somewhere
else?")  All three are also available in Spanish and in Acrobat
Adobe PDF (for ease of printing.)

Noodle Quest
http://www.noodletools.com/noodlequest/
*****
Wow! This amazing research tool actually answers the inevitable
first question:  "Where do I start?"  Just answer the seven
multiple-choice questions starting with "Are you a kid, pretty
new to the Internet, or an Internet wizard?" and click "Show Me
a Research Strategy."  This is my pick of the day because of the
variety and quality of the research sites it unearths. Book mark
Noodle Quest now.

The Nuts and Bolts of College Writing: Evidence
http://www.nutsandboltsguide.com/evidence.html
*****
Although written for college students, I found Nuts and Bolts
equally applicable to high-school students. "College essays
stand or fall based largely on their use of evidence. In this
section we'll consider how to do research, how to avoid common
problems with using source material, and how to follow major
citation styles for the humanities, the social sciences, and the
natural sciences."   Pay particular attention to the discussion
of open and closed searches, and the section on plagiarism.

OWL: Research & The Internet
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/workshops/pp/Internet.ppt
*****
The free PowerPoint viewer is required to view this Purdue
University Writing Lab workshop.  Windows users can get one from
  http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/Ppview97.aspx ; Mac
users can download theirs from
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/download/office98/powerpoint98viewer.asp .
Once the slide show is opened, use a single mouse click anywhere
on a slide to proceed to the next slide. A right-mouse click
will open a navigational menu with additional selections such as
full-screen or reverse.  For your efforts, you'll be rewarded
with a nice introduction to online research and criteria for Web
site evaluation.

        ***** Spectacular!    **** Wonderful!   *** Great

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

             Surfnetkids Classified Ads
(Support our advertisers; take a look at these offers!)

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Buy strollers and jogging strollers at discount prices.
F^ree shipping for orders over $100 in the U.S.
http://www.JustStrollers.com/surf.htm

Teaching your child to read? Try this great site for lots of
downloads and online movies. http://www.readinglesson.com

Got computer? Got virus? Get a great deal on Norton
Anti-Virus package. http://surfnetkids.com/antivirus.htm

Print paper jigsaw puzzles from your computer with
PUZZLE CLONZZ jigsaw puzzle paper.
http://surfnetkids.com/puzzleclonzz.htm

Have an idea for educational software? Turn your dream into
reality. http://www.surfnetkids.com/softwaresecrets.htm

You don't need to be a programmer to learn how to add games
to your organization's Web site.
http://how2add.com/cgi-bin/pl/pl.cgi?nl

Get unlimited access to Surfnetkids Printables with a
trial subscription.
http://www.surfnetkids.com/printables-club.htm

Sign up for newsletters from Surfnetkids partners at.
http://www.surfnetkids.com/freenewsletters.htm

Get an elephant book and tiger poster with one-year
trial subscription to Zoobooks.
http://www.surfnetkids.com/cgi-local/pl/pl.cgi?zb

Surfnetkids Classified Ads just $40 each.
http://www.surfnetkids.com/classified.htm

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

ATTENTION AOL MEMBERS:  Here is a clickable summary
of today's addresses:

<A HREF="http://www.surfnetkids.com";>Online archive of Surfing the Net with
Kids</a>
<A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]";>Cancel this
newsletter</a>
newsletter</a>
<A href="http://www.surfnetkids.com/changeaddress.htm";>Change your email
address</a>

Our WONDERFUL sponsors:
Site</a>

Today's Featured Sites:
<A HREF="http://www.classzone.com/books/research_guide/ ">ClassZone: Web
Research Guide</A>
<A HREF="http://school.discovery.com/schrockguide/eval.html";>Kathy Schrock's
Guide for Educators: Critical Evaluation Surveys</A>
<A HREF="http://www.noodletools.com/noodlequest/";>Noodle Quest</A>
<A HREF="http://www.nutsandboltsguide.com/evidence.html";>The Nuts and Bolts of
College Writing: Evidence</A>
<A HREF="http://owl.english.purdue.edu/workshops/pp/Internet.ppt";>OWL: Research

& The Internet</A>

<A href="http://surfnetkids.com/cgi-bin/books.cgi?Online+Research";> Related
Books</a>

*
Copyright 2002 by Barbara J. Feldman. Publication
in any medium is strictly prohibited without prior
written permission.
*
ISSN 1520-4588
*
ALL OTHER INQUIRIES: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ONLINE ARCHIVE: http://www.surfnetkids.com