31 Jan 2002 Status report
--------------------------

 I BUGS

 1. Icons.
 >>>The VNC halo appears at odd times. It's there with
 >>>the old EchoFree halo when I first startup. Then,
 >>>as soon as I click a dependant device
 >If you have a serial printer driver installed on
 >the machine you're running Kaboodle on, it should create
 >an icon for it.

 Thank you. It really helped.
 Fixed, the source is attached.

 2. Null pointers.
 >The "this" pointer is having problems still.
 >I've setup the second WinNT machine so that it crashes. The
 >"debug" result of the crash is open in WinNT on the machine
 >you VNC into.

 We had a look at it. File EFController.cpp had the following code:

 void CEFController :: GetMasterGUID(CGUID& pGUID)
 {
  ((CNIDNetwork *)GetNIDManagerPtr()->GetLocalMachine()->
     GetParent())->GetNetworkGwyID(&pGUID);
 }

 We inserted several ifs, just like we did it before:

 void CEFController :: GetMasterGUID(CGUID& pGUID)
 {
   CNIDManager* pManager = GetNIDManagerPtr();
   if (pManager)
   {
     CNIDDevice* pDevice = pManager->GetLocalMachine();
     if (pDevice)
     {
       CNIDDevice* pParentDevice = pDevice->GetParent();
       if (pParentDevice)
       {
          CNIDNetwork* pNetwork = (CNIDNetwork*)pParentDevice;
          pNetwork->GetNetworkGwyID(&pGUID);
          return;
       }
     }
   }
   // ASSERT(false);
 }

 Note that the ASSERT operator is commented out so to able to bypass
 this dangerous place. But you will have to uncomment it latter in
 order to correctly handle the situation. Or think of another method
 to be applied in case the inner call to GetNetworkGwyID fails.

 Right under the void CEFController :: GetMasterGUID(CGUID& pGUID)
 function in EFController.cpp, you will find another example of
 pointers not being unchecked for NULL value:

 void CEFController :: GetMyGUID(CGUID& pGUID)
 {
   pGUID = GetNIDManagerPtr()->GetLocalMachine()->
      m_Attributes.m_DeviceID;
 }

 Unfortunately, we do not know how many such hidden bugs
 there are. I am afraid, the work of finding and fixing them
 is out of our work plan.

 II REMOTE CONNECTION

 We failed to connect again. This time, no new partner record
 appeared in the partner list after the partner file was installed.
 Igor set up VNC Server on his computer (the ip and the password
 are attached). Please, you try. You will find the project open.
 There is only one disk c: and two instances of Kaboodle/Echofree:
 One version 0.72 at the standard location and the other one
 is the current one under design (resident in C:\KABOODLE). Note
 that neither of them has been a success. And mind that it is
 important to see the functionality in the current Kaboodle version
 as to be able to trace/debug. Once 0.72 to 0.72 connection is
 ok, we'll pass over to Kaboodle to Kaboodle connection.
 Looking forward to hearing/seeing from you.

 -Oleg