On 04/21/2015 06:20 AM, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 11:35 PM, Mads Kiilerich <m...@kiilerich.com> wrote:

It is a bit weird that Kallithea pull request numbers are global.
Especially
in a site that is hosting repos for multiple independent users, it would
make sense to have per repo numbering. Would that solve your case? Will
your
repos in the different instances be named differently?
No, the different instances would operate on the same repositories
with the same names (note that we're not using Kallithea for repo
hosting, it is a mirror).

Using it as a mirror is fine ... but having multiple independent instances
does not seem like something I can recommend. It would make more sense to
have multiple servers on the same database in some failover loadbalancing
setup.
The reason we planned doing such a setup is that the network
latency/bandwidth between sites is not always very good. If there is
one single Kallithea instance in a given site, the developers from
that site get a good experience, while the developers from a remote
site may suffer high latencies. With a local database + instance this
would be mitigated.

We have local mirrors for the actual cloning - using https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/hgwebcachingproxy/commits/all and https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/dynapath/commits/branch/default .

Are you sure you need locally hosted Kallithea instances for the web UI? Depending on the size of your changes and your workflow, the requirements for bandwidth and latency might not be that high. Especially not to justify the added complexity for users and admins for managing multiple instances.

Your suggestion of the same database and multiple Kallithea instances:
how exactly does this work? Is all locking in place? And since the
database is in one place: don't you suffer from the same network
latency issue?

The database could perhaps be distributed, with one master for writing and local mirrors for reading. The database access pattern might however not be good for that; read only operations have too many writes.

/Mads