On Mon, 06 May 2002 13:28:59 +1000,
Brendan J Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What I want to know is how do I _install_ linux kernel header files
>(since I can't _directly_ use the ones supplied with the kernel source).
>Is it as simple as copying all the linux header files that come in the
>tarball _AND_ the generated header files to the desired directory (eg.
>/usr/include/linux) ?
>Is there a way to do this with kbuild ?

make ... $KBUILD_OBJTREE/.tmp_src builds $KBUILD_OBJTREE/.tmp_src as a
forest of 10,000+ symlinks pointing to the latest version of every
source file, taking into account any shadow trees.  cp -aL on that tree
or a subset will get the files used to build the kernel.  .tmp_src does
not include the generated object files, cp -aL $KBUILD_OBJTREE/include
will get the generated headers as well.

>Does anyone know how Linux distros (debian, redhat, etc) populate the
>linux header files in /usr/include/linux ?  Is a crude copy or is it
>done via a make target ?

Meta targets in their build scripts.  One of the niggles with kbuild
2.4 is the cruft in the kernel Makefiles to do packaging and special
install process that does not really belong in the kernel.  In kbuild
2.5 I put my foot down, kbuild builds the kernel and does a standard
install, no rules for packaging and no special case installs for one or
two users.

Instead I provide hooks where meta targets can be invoked, using
scripts and commands from outside the kernel tree.  A distributor can
do what they want at any point in the build cycle and they have to
maintain their scripts, not the kbuild group.