Keith Owens wrote:

>On Mon, 06 May 2002 13:28:59 +1000,
>Brendan J Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Is there a way to do this with kbuild ?
>>
>make ... $KBUILD_OBJTREE/.tmp_src builds $KBUILD_OBJTREE/.tmp_src as a
>forest of 10,000+ symlinks pointing to the latest version of every
>source file, taking into account any shadow trees.  cp -aL on that tree
>or a subset will get the files used to build the kernel.  .tmp_src does
>not include the generated object files, cp -aL $KBUILD_OBJTREE/include
>will get the generated headers as well.

Interesting.  I'll give it a go ;-)

>>Does anyone know how Linux distros (debian, redhat, etc) populate the
>>linux header files in /usr/include/linux ?  Is a crude copy or is it
>>done via a make target ?
>>
>Meta targets in their build scripts.  One of the niggles with kbuild
>2.4 is the cruft in the kernel Makefiles to do packaging and special
>install process that does not really belong in the kernel.  In kbuild
>2.5 I put my foot down, kbuild builds the kernel and does a standard
>install, no rules for packaging and no special case installs for one or
>two users.

I don't have any problems with keeping non kernel stuff seperate from
kernel stuff.  It could be totally seperate with hooks as you have
implemented or it *could* be part of the kernel sources (maybe just for
common/popular distros) but have it structurally seperated.  I assume
the later is the case for kbuild-2.4 except that it is not properly
seperated.

>Instead I provide hooks where meta targets can be invoked, using
>scripts and commands from outside the kernel tree.  A distributor can
>do what they want at any point in the build cycle and they have to
>maintain their scripts, not the kbuild group.

Is there any documentation or examples to use these "hooks" ?

Should there be a /usr/include/linux directory generated in the install
directory and populated with header files ?
I think there should be, just as kbuild-2.5 generates a lib/modules/...
in the install directory to install the kernel and modules.
Distro scripts could then use, manipulate and package everything they
require from the install directory.

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.