On 11/07/2011, at 2:00 PM, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> On Monday, 2011-07-11, Ian Wadham wrote:
>
>> Surely, PIM could be designed around a shared data source (a relational
>> database if you must) in such a way that the various applications can
>> exist independently of each other, in a loosely bound form.
>
> This is exactly how the new PIM applications are designed. Previous
> incarnations had dependencies on each other for certain tasks, e.g.
> KAddressBook and KOrganizer depended on KMail for access to certain type of
> groupware data and I think KMail vice versa depended on KOrganizer for
> handling events/invitations attached to email.
>
> The new architecture allows each application to retain their functionality
> without depending on each other running or even being installed.
> It's good to see that other people also find this decoupling to be a
> worthwhile goal.

True.  Akonadi does not call for other *PIM* apps when you fire up KMail,
but it does call for Nepomuk (I know where that leads) and some things
called "resource agents" that I know nothing about.

>> KMail could even survive without the
>> data source.
>
> Definitley. KMail might be overly assertive in that regard, normally PIM
> applications will indicate the unavailability of their data source by having
> semi-transparent error overlay over their normal UI [1].

KMail has such an overlay too, but I cannot get past it to use KMail.
Only a few menu items activate and Preferences does not work at all,
so I cannot set up accounts.

>> I have used it without an address book for years and just
>> relied on its memory for recently used email addresses.  And if the user
>> wants Strigi and friends to index his/her emails, cannot KMail simply tell
>> them where to find the emails by updating a shared file or database?
>
> Actually KMail is not involved in this at all (remember decoupling?), a
> helper
> program is telling Nepomuk about emails and changes to email folders.
> This helper is enabled by default since we assumed that quite some users of
> KMail might actually be using its search for email functionality and would
> like to continue to do so.

Fair enough, but I have been quite happy with occasionally using the search
facilities within KMail itself and have felt no real need for anything more
powerful
on the desktop.

> The immensely improved separation of concerns will allow a far greater
> tunability than any previous version could have ever achieved.
> It's just that the main focus up until now has been to provide as much of the
> established functionality as possible.

OK.  One must proceed a step at a time.  But there are some very nice KDE
apps that do work well on an Apple desktop and it would be nice if KMail
was one of them.  I am already using KMyMoney and maybe will use Digikam.
Some of our games look good on the Macbook too, but maybe I am biased ... :-)

Cheers, Ian W.